Happy Trails Animal Rescue is a foster based rescue network located in Central Florida. All of our adoptable dogs live with volunteer foster families throughout Orange, Seminole and Osceola County and adoptions are done by appointment only because our dogs are not housed in a centralized kennel location that you can come to visit, appointments allow you to meet with the foster family and really get to know the animal you’re adopting from the family they are currently living with.
We are here to help you in your quest to find just the right new addition to your family. You can learn more about our available dogs and our adoption process below. Feel free to reach out to us at any point during the process if you have questions or need support.
Our Adoption Process
All of our adoptable animals live with volunteer foster families throughout Central Florida – this allows us to truly get to know our dogs in a home setting and have a better idea of which dog would be the best match for your household. Because we do not house our animals in a kennel, the process to adopt may be a little different than a normal shelter. The following information is meant to help you better understand how our process works:
- You can use the link above to view photos, profiles and biographies of all of our available pets. If you don’t see exactly what you are looking for or you aren’t sure which dog might be the best fit for you, you can reach out to us for guidance in finding a pet that is just right for you.
- If you find a dog you are interested in the first step would be to fill out the online application at the link above. This application helps us get to know you and your household better to make sure it is a perfect match.
- We are a volunteer run organization so it is normal for it to take a little time for our volunteers to process and screen your application. Someone will reach out to you with next steps or information on why your home may not be the right fit.
- Once your application has been processed someone will call you to get to know you better and answer any questions you may have about the dog and make sure you feel good about the match before moving forward.
- A meeting will be scheduled so that you can meet the dog as well as meet the family that has been fostering the dog and get to know the dog and has the family any additional questions you have. We encourage all family members to attend and make sure the dog is a great fit for everyone.
- If you have other dogs or pets at home, they will also meet the dog to make sure it is a great match.
- Each individual dog and family will coordinate on how many meetings are needed to make sure it is a perfect match and decide on the right time for the dog to transition into their new home.
- Our adoption fees are: $150 for large breed adult dogs, $200 for small breed adult dogs, $175 for large breed puppies (under one year of age) and $250 for small breed puppies (under one year of age).
- All dogs are spayed, neutered, vaccinated, HW tested and micro chipped and have been examined healthy unless otherwise noted.
- All adoptions include free lifetime training support through our organization.*
*Must reside within our training coverage/travel area for training support.
Can I meet the dog before I decide to adopt?
Because our dogs live in foster families rather than a kennel, an appointment is required to meet our adoptable dogs. Out of respect for the time and privacy of our foster families, we do require a screened application on file before scheduling a meeting. Once your application is screened and on file you will be able to meet the dog and the foster family to learn all about the dog and make sure it is a great fit. We encourage all family members to attend and meet the dog and make sure it is the perfect fit.
Do you have any specific adoption requirements?
Each individual dog has individual needs in terms of what type of household is going to be best for them. While some dogs may need a fenced yard, others may not. Some may need to be only pets, others may not. If we have a specific requirement listed for a dog it is because we are trying to make the best match for that specific animal. It is likely we have other dogs available that would be a better match for your family if you don’t meet a specific requirement for one of the dogs you were interested in.
For more information on application requirements for all applicants you can read a complete list of requirements here.
How long will it take to hear something after I apply?
It is normal for it to take up to a week for your application to be processed. We are a small volunteer run organization and appreciate your patience. You will get a response from our team whether your application was approved or not. You can also follow up on your application at any time by calling our office at 407-270-7074.
Will my other dogs (or pets) be able to meet the dog before I decide to adopt?
Yes! We will set up a meeting to make sure the dog you are interested in adopting gets along great with your existing dogs or pets.
What is your return policy if the adoption doesn’t work out?
While we encourage you to make sure you’re getting a perfect match for your household and try to provide as much support as we can to make each adoption successful, we are also here for you and our dogs for life. If at any point you are no longer able to keep the dog you have adopted from us we are always here to give them a safe place to return to.
What are your fees for adoption?
Our adoption fees are: $150 for large breed adult dogs, $200 for small breed adult dogs, $175 for large breed puppies (under one year of age) and $250 for small breed puppies (under one year of age).
All dogs are spayed, neutered, vaccinated, HW tested and micro chipped and have been examined healthy unless otherwise noted.
Why was my application denied?
If you receive an email that your application was not approved or accepted for the dog you applied for you can always contact us to follow up on the status of your application. Just because one dog is not the right match for your home does not mean you may not be approved for a different dog that is a better fit. Or there may be something you can update or provide additional information on that could change the status of your application.